Friday, August 12, 2011

Gear Review


The Petzl Grigri 2
            Petzl has done it again! This item exceeds all the hype. The size, weight, and performance are all significantly improved from the first Grigri. When I first got the Grigri 2 it was in a somewhat large box, and I thought that the box was empty. Come to find out, the new Grigri seemed to be as light as the cardboard box. The Grigri 2 weighs in at 5.9 ounces, and the Grigri 2 is 20 percent lighter and 25 percent smaller than the original Grigri. The size is not the only change. This new device handles better, feeds better, brakes quicker, and lowers much easier. I climb with the Xion 10.1 and the Fuse 9.4 ropes. The Grigri 2 takes both ropes very well. With my old Grigri, the 9.4 used to slip a little, but the new Grigri has no problem with the thin rope. As for the Xion, the fatter rope slides in out of the device like a charm. You cannot go wrong with the new Grigri 2. It is hands down the best belay device I have ever used, and the original Grigri comes in right after its over achieving little brother.


The Petzl Xion 10.1 rope
            I was pretty skeptical at first when Petzl sent me the rope. I was thinking I could use it for some projects and save some use on my Fuse rope. I was wrong. This rope handles better than most 9.8 ropes. Petzl really got it right when it comes to mixing durability and exceptional handling. I use this rope all the time. It feels great and I do not have to worry about taking lots of big falls on it. The durability has really stood the test. I have had the rope for around 3 months, using almost every week in the gym and some outdoors, and I have seen very little wear and tear on the rope. Another cool thing about this rope is that all Petzl ropes coiled in a way that you can cut the plastic and use it right then and there with out having to flake it out. If you are looking for a rope that is durable, but you are not willing to compromise performance, this is the rope to buy.

prAna Stretch Zion Pant
            These pants are no ordinary pants. These pants allow you climb with out having to go through all the hardships that come with climbing in pants. They stretch, breathe, and outperform any climbing pants I have ever known. These pants are also loaded with many other features. They have plenty of pockets and have snaps at the bottom to help you roll up the pants. These pants are great for any weather you run into. I have climbed in them in Texas 90 degree weather and in the cold Colorado winter. They go easy with layers for the cold and roll up and breathe in the heat. I recommend these pants to anyone who wants an all year pant option. These are my favorite prAna product.

prAna Snakebite ¼ zip
            This is another must have product for all weather climbing. Wear it on the cool morning hike and shed it before you hit the rock. Use it as a great layering item for those cold days at the crag. I even climb in this when the cold is just too much. It breaks the wind and stretches very nicely for any activity. I also love to wear this when I am not climbing. It is nice but also has an active lifestyle look to it. I really use the Snakebite all the time. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have this pullover. 




No comments:

Post a Comment